I Would Be Nowhere Without Laughter

Genevieve - Elmhurst, Illinois

When I was a child, I lived by a set of rules set down by my parents. Some were the usual, found in most households, such as “Look both ways before crossing the street,” or “Brush your teeth and wash your face before you go to bed.” These seemed like reasonable rules, so I followed them. Each law set down before me had a reason or rhyme behind it that kept me safe, healthy, and out of trouble. But, one rule I never seemed to understand was this: “No laughing at the dinner table.” For some reason, I could not comprehend it. So, I did not follow it. Yes, this meant I was sent to the naughty chair in my room every time I broke their decrees. But, I couldn’t help but giggle at every joke cracked by my sister or brother. Although I usually follow the policies my parents set down, I could never possibly think of following this rule. This is because I love to laugh. I truly believe I would be nowhere without laughter.

Laughing is my favorite action. I would rather laugh than talk, eat or even sleep. When I had slumber parties with my friends as a kid, I have to admit I never chortled more. After an evening of loud activities and camaraderie, my mom or dad called downstairs, “Girls, go to bed. I’m turning off the lights. Goodnight!” But, as the lights flicked off, a spark ignited inside me. This was quickly followed by a strange yearning for laughter. With every joke my friends told me, my stomach contracted and convulsed as I clutched it with a huge smile on my face. I joked around with my friends until well past four in the morning. It was unquestionably worth the three hours of sleep I got those nights.

Not only does laughter mean sleepless weekends and grumpy parents, but it also helps me connect with people. After those sleepovers, I found I was much closer with my friends. We bonded, and formed relationships that had not been there before. Laughter made us even more comfortable with each other.

Nowadays, laughing has more of a curing power for me. When things do not seem to go the right way, I can depend on laughter to make my day better. When I get a flat tire, or when I trip and fall down a staircase, a little gag from a friend always makes it better. Laughing makes any potentially disastrous situation much less harmless.

With me, laughter begins an unending chain of events that brings out every positive aspect in my life. Although I don’t remember why I laughed every time I’ve done so at the dinner table, I know it makes me happy. When I am happy, I appreciate life. And I appreciate laughter. I believe laughter has made me who I am today.