Rainbow Colored Blocks

Yiying - Palmer, Alaska

Rainbow Colored Blocks

I believe in Tetris. I recently became addicted to this pastime via Facebook and learned so much, not just about the joys of the game but ways to live my life. Yes, I believe in living life Tetris-style.

I have never enjoyed playing video games since I was growing up. But when my game-illiterate self figured out the method of Tetris I was instantly hooked. To see the rainbow colored blocks fitting perfectly together gave me a thrill that I never imagined possible from a video game. For the rest of day, I could see nothing but blocks in my head, mentally rotating the imaginary cubes. So how does this apply to life? Like how I couldn’t think about anything but blocks, the same focus is necessary to accomplish goals in my life. Thus, to achieve my goals I need to get myself in the right mind set.

The second biggest life lesson I learned from playing Tetris is that in order to get ahead in society, I need to know what I want in life, and know how to manipulate the things around me and work it to my advantage. In Tetris and life alike, we’re not always given the right blocks. We have to rotate, shift and sometimes sacrifice some things, such as time and money. We have to know when to take risks, and be flexible and adjust to circumstances. Just like the phrase, when life throws you a lemon, make lemonade.

The game of Tetris is very competitive. And what makes it so? It makes you your own rival and challenges you to defeat past scores while teaching self-discipline and determination.

On my first day of playing, I literally spent hours trying to quicken my thought process, decision making and puzzle solving skills. In the end I was able to clear forty lines two minutes faster than before and find solutions sooner. But, there were times where the blocks piled sky high and failure was imminent and like any beginner player, I panicked. After trials, I found being optimistic and keeping calm can reverse that outcome. And I know, throughout life, I am going to face numerous tribulations but if I have hope, who knows? Things might just clear up.

To me, Tetris is more than just a game. It’s a life lesson, pastime, and brain booster all bundled into one. It teaches about being in the right mind set, challenging yourself, and having hope. I believe Tetris can do so much more than just entertain. It can change lives.