Fundamental Humanity

Andrew - Wilmington
Themes: golden rule

I believe that everyone is equal and deserves respect. No matter who you are or what your story is, each of us should be able to count on being treated with the same dignity as any other person. It seems like we go through life with blinders on, each of us self-absorbed and only worrying about our own lives. As a species, we consume everything in sight, never thinking about anyone else except ourselves.

I have a friend. She is eighty years old. We go grocery shopping together, go to doctors’ appointments together, and enjoy the occasional picnic at the zoo together. I met her when I managed a drug store some years ago. Her husband died many years earlier. They never had any children and as far as other family, she has none. It turns out that she was adopted and her adoptive family never had any other children. She is a feisty little woman.

Since I’ve known her we have faced and overcome the trials of cataract surgery on both eyes. Then she found out that the breast cancer that she once had and was treated for had come back. The doctors told her that her breast was going to have to be removed. Of course this was terrifying for her. And of course, she was not very keen on the idea at all. One of her biggest concerns was that it would change her and she would no longer feel like a woman. I told her that an amputee that looses a limb is not any less of a person. We got through it.

I am special and so is she, not just because I do these things with her, but also because she deserves dignity and respect as a fellow human being. All human beings deserve to be treated with the same level of dignity because we are all capable of doing such beautiful and wonderful things in this world. We should be respected for the work that we do, no matter what it is. We should each be recognized for the things that we create, the love that we share, and the important roles that we play in other people’s lives. People shouldn’t judge others by the way they look or act. We all have the same spirit inside.

I am not a religious person but I do consider myself a spiritual one. I believe that we are a part of something bigger than ourselves. When I pass on I will shed my mortal coil and fulfill my true potential. I will no longer exhibit any of my physical traits. I will no longer have a skin color, physical disabilities or deformities, or age. And to those who are hung up on men and woman being the only two kinds of people that may love each other, think of this: God never had a gender and never needed one. Neither will you eventually. So I believe we should respect each other and live life equally with everyone. Treat each other like you would want to be treated, like the beautiful unique creations that we are.