Jacob - Great Neck, New York

Time is everything.

This I believe.

And I know that’s a cliche but it proves to be incredibly true when you think about it. I know I have.

It happened a couple of years ago on New Years Eve, and my mother, my sister and I had gone to see “Happy Feet” in Port Washington. Meanwhile, my mother’s voice teacher was in the hospital when he hurt his hip. His name was Adam. I know it seems strange when I say he seemed like a grandfather to me but I really loved him. I’d known him all my life and had come to really enjoy his company as I got older. I would visit him and his wife Millie every Saturday. I would sometimes even watch old Cowboy movies with him, although they were kind of boring. But it didn’t matter because I knew he enjoyed it. Anyway, we were seeing this movie, and my father and sister were at home. My mother wondered whether or not she wanted to call Adam to see how he was doing, but decided not to since she thought maybe he was resting. When we got home, my father opened it from the inside before my mother could reach her keys. He had a strange look in his eyes and before the words escaped his mouth I knew it all too soon. “Adam died.”, he said.

There was a horrible eerie silence. I couldn’t grasp reality. The look of pure terror on my mother’s face only made it more real. But somehow, I made it up the stairs, only to find myself crying uncontrollably. According to his granddaughter Emmy said that he died while he and Millie were adjusting his pillow. And he had been gone the whole time we were watching that dumb movie. And now timing always crosses my mind and I think if one thing changed things could’ve happened differently. If my mother decided to call Adam to see how he was doing, i might’ve had a chance to talk to him one last time. If we hadn’t seen that dumb movie, I might’ve been the one to answer the phone to hear a now widowed Millie bear me the news that I would’ve had to bear to my family. If my sister decided to call us and tell her Adam died we could’ve been in a car crash for all I care. But I keep thinking “If This” and “If That” and I know it won’t do anything to help. Sometimes I close my eyes and wish it never happened, but wishes can’t bring people back. So I just to enjoy the time i have because it’s not worth the trouble wasting precious time.

This I believe.