Saddle Your Own Horse

Chelsey - Sonora, Texas

“Dad, I need some help!” I yelled to him from outside the barn.

“What do you need?” he replied.

“Will you please come help me throw my saddle on? It’s really hard!” I said as I struggled to get my saddle onto the horse.

Dad came to my rescue and helped me throw the saddle on. Once I had cinched up, he called me over to where he was sitting and told me to sit on his lap because he had something to tell me. He cleared his throat and said in his deep fatherly voice, “When I was a little boy growing up, my dad used to always tell me “Saddle your own horse, Son”. When I was your age, I didn’t really understand why he told me that. I guessed it was just something he was taught. As I got older, I began to understand the meaning to his words.” There was a long pause before I looked up at him and smiled. “Well Daddy, aren’t you going to tell me what he was talking ‘bout?” I said. He just grinned and said, “Doll Baby, I want you to figure it out.” With a heavy sigh, I got up from has lap and went to get on my horse.

Now that I am older, I like to think back on that conversation between my dad and me. I am proud to know that I figured out ,on my own, the meaning to his words that meant nothing to a six year old. That simple little phrase has taught me so much about life in general. I have learned that if I go through life searching for someone else to “saddle my horse” it’s like I am giving up. When I think a job is maybe too big for me, it might just be that it’s something I am too lazy to do on my own. If I go through life asking other people to do things for me, it is a sign of weakness. Overcoming something that I think is too big for me builds character and gives me a sense of appreciation.

Some lessons in life are taught by words. I think everyone should have a quote that they try to live up to. That is why I believe you should always saddle your own horse.