I Believe in Music.

Maria - Elizabeth, New Jersey

“The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with.”

-Bruce Springsteen

I believe in the power of music. This I believe. Music has healing power. It has the ability to alter moods, to determine writers and artists. It goes above and beyond rational thought and most importantly, it gives us each a little piece of hope. My day can be stressful and horrible, to the point of physical and emotional exhaustion, but just by listening to a few notes, my entire world changes its course. I can wake up furious and walk around being insensitive and simply with the strum of a few cords, I can find myself wiping away tears. Music has a power that goes beyond our control, a potential that only a few have been able to tame. Music is wild and free and inspiring. I believe music changes the way we see the world. This I believe.

I can try to find myself all I want in the vastness of silence, but the truth I struggle to concentrate on and discover just dissipates into the air. I don’t know why this is but only when I am listening to the music that has changed me, that has influenced my life in some way, do I truly feel like myself. At that moment I don’t have to search for myself anymore. I feel like my self, whole and complete. True. But most importantly, free. Free from the world. Perhaps nothing I’ve said makes any sense but the truth is that it’s quite complicated to explain, yet it is probably the simplest feeling in the world. That’s just the beauty of it.

If it were up to me, I’d ask two thing of this world I live in: the ability to see the beauty of nature and breathe clean air and have good music playing while I do that. Music is tranquility. I find peace when I see sights that are beyond the possibility of imagination and I think the only setback of the world we live in, besides of course all the problems created by humanity, is the fact that we don’t have background music in our lives. I believe music goes on. It breaks barriers. It never ends and it gives me the strength to go on even in my darkest moments, in my saddest days. Whenever my faith has been tested, (and if I must be specific it has been on three occasions; the death of a close friend, and both my brother’s and my mother’s illnesses, all of which have been due to cancer), it has been music that’s given me the necessary tools to continue, to cope, to forgive, to accept, and to continue living. There are a lot of times when my life feels as if it were on pause, times that I feel stagnant, but with just one song my belief in something different is reinforced. I believe in something more.

I look at life very differently today than I did a few years ago. I believe music has the power to mold us, change our views and our ideals. This I believe. I know music is like the true best friend, who doesn’t let you keep your feelings stored away from yourself. It doesn’t let me hide. It allows me to voice my beliefs, my opinion, my dreams and my desires. Music is the soundtrack of our lives. Some are even lucky to find who it is we owe our great love of music to.

The best music makes us stand on the tip of our toes and go to sleep at night. It makes us breathe and it takes our breath away. It causes our hearts to beat faster and it has the potential to make our hearts stop. A good song does that the very first time you hear it. If it doesn’t, it might grow on you, but it will become dispensable over time. Music takes me places I’ve never even dreamed of before and it makes my dreams extraordinary. I believe in everything that music can do. Do you want to know something else about my music? I can’t live without it, but that’s a given. I can’t sleep without something to accompany my dreams, so I listen to music. I give myself to music and in return I get the world. I get a feeling of satisfaction and so much more that I cannot put into words. The best music is essentially there to provide me something to face the world with.

By: Maria Lopez