Oppurtunities Are Among Us

Matthew - Davie, Florida

Opportunities are always in front of us every single day. But sometimes they’re not easy to identify. Life is a game to me, as it is to many others. I saw this opportunity that was given to me and took it. The day after my bar-mitzvah I read an ad in the temple monthly newspaper. It stated “Madrachim needed!” I read this in my 8th grade year. Madrachim are volunteers that work in the office as secretaries that sort papers, pick up telephones, and create class project templates. I volunteer every Sunday for two to three hours. Working in a temple makes me feel like I am doing something special. I have become a lot more involved religiously. Recently, I have really been trying to get my grades up. In the Bible it says “The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops.” This quote gives me motivation because it means the hardest worker will become the richest. I want to be the richest with love and kindness. I want to make a change in this world! I want to make an impact and leave my name as a legacy that everyone knows. This all starts with my attitude towards school. Something as easy as signing up for a job interview and being accepted can change your life forever. I have met some really amazing people such as the Florida Marlins General Manager, Larry Beinfest, and had the chance to speak to him about some of the team’s weaknesses. Of course, as a fifteen year old teenager he wasn’t going to do what I told him, because he’s the expert. Becoming close with the temple will be beneficial for my college transcript when I graduate from high school. Hopefully, the people at the temple will acknowledge the hard work I do every Sunday for them. I have learned many life and social skills, which I probably would have never learned if I had not worked at my temple, skills such as, dealing with an important situation if someone gets hurt or calming down an angry parent. I believe being a Madrachim has changed my life forever!