Learning From Hardships

Maria - Sacramento, California

Learning From Hardships

On May 23, 2005 my sixteen-year-old sister ran away from home leaving an empty space in my heart. She left us to start a new life with her boyfriend, whom I didn’t know she had. Since then I have grown as a sister who loves and cares for her siblings.

I believe we can learn from hardships, because even though it breaks our heart apart, many times we become a better person.

My sister and I were best friends. For me, my sister Leonela was a role model to follow. She was my hero, because all I wanted was to be like her. When she left, I could not imagine my life without her. I felt empty, I just wanted to turn back the time and tell my sister how much I missed and loved her. She left without caring about me, and now I was by myself, with nobody to learn from. Since then I have started learning from my own mistakes.

I grew up emotionally. My parents were devastated. I tried to make them understand that it was nobody’s fault that my sister Leonela ran away. I was acting as an adult even though I was only twelve. There I was lifting my family and myself. I learned to demonstrate my family the love that I felt for them.

I believe that we don’t value what we have until we see it lost. Many times we hurt our family members, and we never ask them for forgiveness. Sometimes we see them suffer, and never offer comfort to them. When they are not with us anymore, we wish to have them to share our experiences and happiness with them.

One week later we met her boyfriend, and my sister got married. On June of 2005 my family and I came to live to the United States (without my sister).

Each December we travel to Mexico to visit her and her family. Each year I talk to my sister about this hardship. We cry and, we laugh, and I tell her that I have learned to value her.

I believe that we should value our family for their hearts’ essence, and not for their actions or the decisions they made in life. They don’t always make what others believe is the right decision.

My sister gave birth to a baby girl named Jimenna. She lives in Culiacan Sinaloa in Mexico with her husband’s family. Even tough I live miles apart from her, our hearts are together because the past is gone and we have to live and enjoy the present.

I believe I did not lose my sister, I have gained a brother-in-law and a niece whom I feel are part of my family, too.