Laughing

Adam - New Orleans, Louisiana

Laughing is singularly the most enjoyable action man is capable of. I have only lived for eighteen years, but I already feel like I have overspent my pleasure in it. Luckily for me, every other day I am proven wrong again. For that, I must thank my family, my pets, all television and film around me, on occasion books, but most importantly friends. The time spent laughing with friends is so valuable and necessary to me that I might well be considered an addict in theory.

Laughing comes in all shapes. There are noiseless expulsions of air when something unexpected happens. There are sympathy chuckles and there are real ones. There is the loud, squeaky, repetitive laugh, more typical with girls than guys. There is the tight and muted laugh that curls your stomach and makes you fight for a breath. There is the boisterous, typical laugh when a group generally agrees that something was funny. And there are laughs nearly indescribable by words; that laugh when something is so funny, so personal, so perfect, that it exists by itself and forever a memory, because it cannot be repeated or impersonated, lest it loses its authenticity.

Laughing is also something unique and different to everyone. All my friends have their own, and coincidently, watching their laughs only makes me laugh more. One friend has a laugh that is silent, and it makes him smile wide and shut his eyes tightly. Another always grabs something for support when his laughter overcomes him. A girl I know laughs loud and long, and loves to look at the person who drove her into the fit. And there is my friend that simply cries, unrestrained and on cue every time that magical level of hilarity is breached.

Without laughing I cannot imagine living. I live for the purpose of pursuing my dreams and laughing all the way there. If those two things cannot be achieved, then what’s worth the effort of life’s difficulties? It binds people together, it makes them smile, it breaks the ice, it reveals true color, it knows no boundaries, and it’s infinite. I say this because I honestly believe it: Laughing is the greatest thing I know.