This I Believe: My Future Depends On Me!

Shanique - Hyannis, Massachusetts

My future depends on me. Whatever I do depends on who I am or what I have always dreamed of, since I was a child. No one else can decide for me what my future will be. I am the one who knows what I want to be and what I enjoy doing. So it’s up to me to aim at that shooting star because the sky is the limit. Can you tell me to do something? Yes, you can but it’s up to me whether I do it or not. No one can decide my future; it’s up to me to make the right choices with the help of people who are there to help and guide me along the way in times of need.

I will have to defeat the speeds bumps in my way that are out to stop me from moving to the next phase of my life. I will have to cure the pains that are out to stop me from getting there. I will move along that pathway toward my future and will wear the whole breast plate of confidence. I will hope for a better day and the motivations of friends and family, but most of all, hope for a future that I always dreamed of.

I can be anything I choose to be; the first woman president, a doctor, lawyer, teacher, anything I want to be. Whether I fulfill that dream or not my future will still depend on only one person, and that’s me. It’s up to me to make the right choices so I can make that change in my family, my community, my country and the world .To make my future a good one, I must carry out my duties to make that dream come though. My duties are to be responsible, focus and to complete all the necessities to make my future. My role is to get up in the mornings attend school and work to the best of my abilities.

As a young child growing up I always underestimated myself that I can’t do something, but I have proven to myself that I can do it. Going into my Grade Six Achievement Testing I had doubts that I would not be able to do well so I could attend the high school I always dreamed of going to. I kept doubting myself up to the day that I received the news that I had done well and would be able to attend the school I wanted to: the William Knibb Memorial High School in Jamaica. I went there for five years before I moved to America.

Going into tests is also another area where I doubt myself. I always think less of myself, but in the long run I always prove myself wrong. That’s why I know I can do anything I choose, and put my mind to. Getting two honor rolls in a row at my new school, Barnstable High School, was not that easy, being new to a different culture, environment, and the persons around me, but I try my very best. I was able to pass my MCAS and fulfill and all the gradation requirements, so I will be able to obtain a high school diploma on the day I graduate.

I know I can continue to do well so my future will be a bright and successful one.

That’s why I know I can do and be anything I choose as my future depends on me.