Colyer - Sonora, Texas

I believe that it’s not how many hours you party, but how much partying you put in the hours. I don’t like to judge anything I do by how long I do it. I judge what I do by how much I do.

You can apply this quote to almost anything; one example is life. If you come into this world you have to go out of it sometime, but the thing is none of us know when or how. I believe in living in the moment because none of us know if we will wake up tomorrow morning.

I began to realize this in the 6th grade (when I came up with this quote)….just a few years after my mom was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. About 1 in every 71 women will develop this type of cancer in their lifetime. In my eyes my mom was way too young to be stuck in a battle with a killing machine. She did everything possible to fight the cancer and never let it get the best of her. I remember the morning that I woke up and saw my mom without a single hair on her head. I was in shock, not knowing what to say, but she simply told me that she didn’t want to wait on the chemo therapy to make it all fall out. She would rather it be over and done with, so she cut it ALL off. Then I watch her as she put on a wig and walked out to the car. She was on her way to her job as an elementary school principle as if it was just another day.

She lived her life like she may not wake up the next day every day… and never let the fact that she may never defeat the cancer come over her. At age 36 she won her battle and is now in her sixth year of remission.

By winning her battle, my mom has influenced my day to day life and that of many others. I love hearing her talk to people that have also had cancer and hearing their stories of hard times fought through. My mom, to this day, still receives phone calls seeking advice, and she helps as much she can.

I have never told my mom that she is one of my biggest role models, but I haven’t ever actually expressed my outlook on life. Hopefully my mom will see that she has made a huge impact on my life by helping me see that every moment is special. I believe that it’s not how long you live, but what you do while you’re still alive.