Letting Go

Teresa - Lexington, Kentucky

So many people i know have not let go of the things that have happened to them or their loved ones in the past. I at many times in my 19 years of living have been guilty of this myself. Whether it be bad or worst things, we start to use them as an excuse to not move forward and live the life God has for us. We all have things that have happened to us that we just can’t seem to forget or let go of.

For so long i held on the hurt and pain that my Dad cause me with his drug addiction. I wasn’t aware of it, but i was keeping myself from prospering by carrying that pain around with me. I would be jealous of people who had their fathers in there life. And the jealousy began to make me angry and the anger was holding me back. But in the past couple of years i have realized that until i let go of my pain from the past i will not be able to live freely and abundantly. God doesn’t want us to be weighed down by our past but He instead wants us to be liberated by the expectation and possibilities of our future.

Now don’t get me wrong we have to remember the past so that we can make our future better. But there is a difference between merely remembering and dwelling. Remembering the past helps us make better decisions and take better action. Dwelling on the past holds us back and basically enslaves us.

Once you realize that the past is just that, the past, you begin to focus on what your plans for the future are. You can literally feel the weight lifted the moment you just let go.