Nothing Compares To A Mother’s Love

Jasmine - tampa, Florida
Themes: family, love

Nothing Compares To A Mother’s Love

I believe in love: wholehearted, unconditional, sincere love. The type of love a mother and daughter share when all they have is each other. Regardless of how many other people are actually involved in their lives, when they need a shoulder to cry on or an ear to listen to a good joke they’ve just heard, they always seek each other.

My mother has been everything in my life: my teacher, my counselor, my personal cheerleader and my best friend. Growing up without my father has made me appreciate her more than I could possibly explain. We’ve had our share of ups and downs just as any other family but in spite of everything we’ve been through, she’s never given up on me. Boyfriends come and go and many friendships fail and fall apart, but she has always been there to put the pieces back together when everyone else leaves. I love being loved that way.

She’s been struggling with health issues for as long as I can remember and in the middle of my high school career she spent almost two years in and out of the hospital. I’ve never cried so many tears before in my life. Just the thought of losing her was unbearable. To this day she hasn’t been given a clear reason as to why she’s been ill or what can be done to treat it so I pray for her persistently, more than I pray for myself, that God will have mercy on her…because I need her. I can’t imagine my life without her in it. I know that everyone has to die one day but I hope that somehow the day she dies, we go together. It seems ironic to me how little kids run to their parents when its storming outside or when they’ve had a bad dream, but I’m in the last of my teenage years and every time I feel a bad situation come about I yearn to be in her presence. In the moments of a thunderstorm, my friends driving carelessly, or a nightmare that I’ve had I crave being near her. Even my fear of death can be soothed by my mothers love. Just the look in her eyes, so inviting, so safe, begging me to let go and rely on her.

I believe in a love that gives ungrudgingly. My mother has always sacrificed whatever was necessary when it came down to the betterment of my brother and me. I’ve never experienced that with my father or anyone else for that matter. She’d sale the clothes off her back and work relentlessly to make sure we had everything we need.

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” (1 Corinthians 13 1-8) I believe in love: a love that is true and has no boundaries because my mother loves me that way.