A World of Expression

Sebastien - Pembroke Pines, Florida

This I Believe Essay

Not too long ago I’ve started to write down what I feel or how my day went in my phone; sort of like a journal entry. I didn’t do this on a daily basis, but every so often. When an important event happened I would write down my feelings on it. I did this because I have a problem expressing myself and saying what’s on my mind at times. I had always felt that I have so much on my mind that it was too difficult to communicate it all at once to one person. Writing was so much easier and I was pretty good at it. I soon learned that expressing myself through writing wasn’t going to get me everywhere. I was going to have to speak out, eventually. A couple of weeks later, I found myself in quite a dilemma. I had gotten into a big argument with my mom about a grade in one of my classes. She was furious at me and didn’t understand why I wasn’t doing well. I felt my frustration boiling inside me like a steaming pot. Suddenly, I exploded into a flurry of emotions. Not holding back and letting everything that had been secured in my mind go, I had a momentary sense of peace. There was a silence for a good minute. My mother looked at me in awe. She had never heard me like this before with such force and power behind my words. I suddenly noticed a lone tear running down her cheek. However,I believe that self expression and saying what’s on your mind will relieve the stress you may feel on daily basis. A simple saying that I live my life by is that life is life, so live it. God put us on this Earth to live and prosper, and we cannot do this all stressed out. By not being yourself and not speaking your mind, you are only doing a disservice to yourself. I try to Just be myself. If people don’t accept me for who I am, it’s no sweat off my back. It’s so much easier to be conservative and hold things in, but I’ve learned that sometimes you have to take the tougher road and fight to where you want to go, and in the end it will all pay off and you will feel a lot of better about your decision. I believe in the power of expression, and this belief has taken me above and beyond. Because I have figured out the benefits of expressing myself, I have been able to communicate better with others, relieve stress, and enjoy life to its fullest. It has really been to my advantage.