this i believe

corinne - sunny isles beach, Florida
Themes: forgiveness

Growing up I have made a lot of mistakes. There have even been times when I have hurt people or when people have hurt me. I have learned that forgiveness is one of the main keys to life. But forgiveness means more than saying sorry. It means everything because no one in this world is perfect, everyone makes mistakes.

I realized this the day I thought I lost my best friend. See, I had this new boy friend for a month and a half, he was perfect for me! But, my best friend did not like him at all. She actually hated him. It was the worst thing ever because I had to split my time and give them both equal attention. One night we all tried hanging out but unfortunately it didn’t go very well at all.

My boy friend and I decided we were going to have a party at his house with all of our friends, kind of like a coming out party because we hadn’t met all of each other’s friends yet, so we thought this would be a great way to do it. I told my best friend about it and she was actually really excited. She came early and everything. When she got there I realized that our other friend didn’t have a ride and that I had to go pick her up. So I left with my boyfriend to go get my friend because I didn’t want to go alone. My best friend and another one of our friends stayed behind and waited for people to show up. On the way back from picking up our other friend my boyfriend realized that having this party was a bad idea and he wanted to cancel it. So I called my best friend and told her that we had to cancel it and we will go out and do something else. My best friend freaked out and was saying all this stuff about how I let my boyfriend control me, and that I let him get in between us. My best friend wound up leaving and we didn’t hang out that night nor did we talk.

The next afternoon I called her to work things out but she wouldn’t even talk to me. She hung up on me and ignored my text messages. I was so upset; I didn’t know what to do. We had been like sisters and did everything together. Six long years of laughs and tears down the drain over a guy, it was so stupid.

When we returned to school that Monday, she still wouldn’t talk to me. We had never fought like this before. Everyone was shocked to see that we were not on talking terms because we are known to be inseparable. Finally after school I went over to her car and tried to explain to her that it was all a big misunderstanding and that I would never let anything come between our friendships.

We both started to tear up and decided to grab a bite to eat together to discus all of the issues. I told her I was very sorry that I hurt her and that I didn’t mean to, because I really didn’t. I would never betray her or do anything intentionally to hurt her. She comes first along with my family. She forgave me and I know that we will always stick together through thick and thin. We have been through many crazy, wacky and even strange times. I know that we will be best friends forever, and that’s just an understatement.

Forgiveness is one of the most powerful gifts to have; this I believe.