Leftover and smoothie night

Alexander - Cooper City, Florida
Themes: family, pleasure

One night a week my family and I have leftover and smoothie night in our kitchen. This night can fall on any day of the week and is different every time. My mom reheats all the leftover food going back to the same day last week and we turn all of the leftover fruit into smoothies. The best nights are when we have all different types of fruit and food from the week before, for example if we had Italian one night, Chinese the next, pot roast after that, Sheppard’s pie the next day, taco night and a big salad from the night before. It is also fun when we have fruit from all over the place, like strawberries, bananas, and mango, papaya, and coconut, blue, black and razz berries. Every week is different with both the smoothies and the food, but the best weeks were when we have an even amount of everything. Too much coconut sometimes gave the smoothies a sour taste, and too much leftover taco meat doesn’t go over with my stomach that well.

An enjoyable leftover and smoothie night represents how everyone should live in the world, with all different cultures. Having too much shepherds’ pie is like living in Britain with only British people or too many tacos is like living in Mexico with only Mexican people. This goes for all foods. The fruits represent different kinds of people. The bananas could be the shy people, the strawberries the outgoing people, mangos for the crazy people and papayas for the calm people. No one wants to be surrounded by goofy people, but not only by calm people. You always need variety to keep life interesting and balanced.

Having just the right combination of food for dinner and fruit for the smoothies wouldn’t be like walking through little Italy, China town or little Havana. It would be more walking in a gigantic food court representing every culture and country or walking down a city street on another planet and the street would have Chinese restaurants next to Italian ones across the street from British and Mexican ones. And instead of having Americans walking down Chinatown in New York there would be aliens walking down Little Earth experiencing all the different cultures and types of people whether they are black or white Asian or European Jewish, Christian or Muslim. They would all be sticking together in a foreign environment like they are on my dinner plate and in my smoothie glass.

What I get out of leftover and smoothie night isn’t just a good dinner but also how today world is should be. In today’s world most people are living within their own culture, what they should do is branch out and experience the others that not only surround them but of the world. What make us great are the people around us and you must know the people around you. I believe in leftover and smoothie night.