Michael - Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
Themes: peace

Peace could be the greatest thing to happen to mankind. And I hope for peace and hope that it can be achieved. But I believe that peace is something that cannot be achieved through violent means. I believe that peace will never be the outcome of war. And for these reasons, I believe peace is something that we will never see.

War has mistakenly been the solution for reaching peace for far too long. I believe that man is so used to threatening those who oppose peace with weapons and war that we believe it is the only solution. It’s what we have turned to since the days of the Roman Empire to this war on terrorism. This solution has never made any change last though. Wars will continue and peace will remain to be that light we see at the end of an endless tunnel.

Even if somebody finally thinks up an alternative for reaching peace, there will always be somebody out there that will not let it happen. There will always be a threat against our country, and a threat against peace. Some people just want to watch the world burn, and there is nothing we can do to sop that. Terrorists are born into this violent lifestyle, and from day one they are taught to hate whoever they are told to. The list doesn’t stop at terrorists. People will always find a reason to fight. Take a look at Israel or the drug wars that are becoming so bad that it is threatening Mexico’s democracy.

But what can I do to help? Sometimes I feel as if there is nothing that can be done. All I can do is be who I am. Be respectful towards other people. If there is a conflict between me and someone I know that violence isn’t the answer. I know that everybody doesn’t feel that way, and that’s why I know mankind will never see true peace.

Peace can be summed up as the absence of hostility. The peace we know today isn’t measured in the absence of hostility, but it is measured by the size of your weapons. I think the question isn’t “will this result in the self destruction of mankind?” instead the question is, “when?”