Nothing is Impossible

Simon - Pembroke Pines, Florida

I have always wondered if it is possible for me to achieve success through hard work and determination. I always hear phrases such as follow your dreams and your dreams will come true, but I have never seen them come true for someone. I became a believer when I heard the story of my Uncle’s life.

My Uncle was young; he was about twelve years old, and his parents were having trouble keeping food on the table for their four sons. He was forced to find a job and forced to quit school in order to maintain food in the house. My uncle wanted to learn because he knew it was the key out of poverty. He decided he would work from 6 am to 1 pm and then he would go to school. The problem was that in Colombia there is no public school. It is all private, and his family could not afford to send him to school. My uncle found a solution around the problem and bought a notebook and a pencil. He would go to math class and look through the window; he would not go in the class. He basically taught himself. As he learned mathematics he also had to teach himself how to write; so, he would look into the grammar classroom and jot down notes. He eventually found a better job that paid him well and soon enough his life had turned around. He got married and obtained enough money to move his wife and his two sons out of Colombia and into the United States. He is now living in Florida and his sons are enjoying a high quality life and are attending college.

When he finished telling me his story, I was in shock. I could not believe what he had gone through to get to where he is now. It is an amazing story of determination that proves to me that nothing is impossible. To this very day the story drives my everyday life in believing that I could succeed at anything! I do not remember why or how we started talking about his childhood but I will never forget the meaning and the lesson his story has taught me. I believe that nothing is impossible.