Wrestling

Michael - Palmer, Michigan
Themes: sports

Wrestling

I believe that wrestling is one of the hardest sports in the world. It is a hard sport because it demands so much from anyone that wants to do it. Wrestling is non-stop moving for six minutes. Wrestlers have to be in great shape and they have to be tough. They have to learn to forget about the pain and just go out on the mat and wrestle. This sport demands one hundred percent all the time. But none of those reasons are what make wrestling the hardest sport.

What make wrestling the hardest sport is having to go out on the mat alone. It was a battle to see who would come out on top. When I was out on the mat there was no one to tell me what to do. When I got tired or frustrated I could not just use a time out.

Being out on the mat alone is a scary thing to a first year wrestler. In my first year in the sport my team was in West Iron County. I found out that I had a match against a kid that was a year older than me. I was afraid of what was going to happen to me when I went out there. I had never wrestled a real match before. I did not really know what to expect.

I got out on the mat and looked at the kid. He was a lot bigger than I was. He was probably six feet tall and one hundred and ninety pounds. The ref started the match and we circled around the mat for a couple of seconds. Then he shot and took me to the ground. He then put me on my back and pinned me. The whole match took about thirty seconds. It was a pretty embarrassing way to start my wrestling career.

After that match I realized why not that many people wrestled. I don’t think most people could last a full match. It is a lot harder than it looks. Not many people would know what to do without a coach. It is not like basketball where you can take a time out and get rested. It is just six minutes of non-stop moving.