Thinking Positively

Peter - Marquette, Michigan

I believe in the power of positive thinking. Thinking this way was an idea given to me that would help me change some negative things in my life. About four months ago I was attending Western Michigan University and dropped out for reasons that don’t need to be explained. This was especially hard for me because, I had just broken up with my girlfriend of two years. I was confused, heartbroken and didn’t know where I was going with my life.

A few weeks later my mom noticed I was still upset and wasn’t acting like myself. She suggested that I should go talk to someone to help me work things out. At first I was very hesitant to talk to someone that I didn’t even know but, after a while I gave in and thought it’d be a good idea. The first time I went to talk with a lady named Beth, she changed my life. After telling her all the stuff that had happened to me she told me I have two choices. She said that I could either stay down and feel bad about myself or look at the situation in a positive attitude and become a better person by learning from it. What she said had an immediate impact on me, on the car ride home I was thinking to myself, Beth has totally got it right. There wasn’t a reason to be upset anymore what had happened was over and there wasn’t anything I could do to change it.

The last time I visited with Beth, she told me that she’s seen a drastic change in my attitude and it was great to see me smiling and happy again. She was right I was a totally different person; I seem to always have a smile on my face now. I look at things from a different perspective. I try and see the positive in everything and not the bad, I always hear people say things like “O man I am going to fail this test.” I try and quickly respond with “You will with that attitude.” It’s funny how things like this can change your life but I guess that it’s just part of being human.