What Is Love

Craig - Hermansville, Michigan
Themes: love

Love is something that I actually truly believe in. I have a big heart for people, but mostly for the person that I am really in love with. When I love, I love. It became an even deeper belief after I started going to church regularly again and realized that I couldn’t have love in my life if I didn’t love God himself. After months of church I find this to be very true. Love is blind, love is harsh, and love takes a lot of work.

What is love? Is it unconditional? Is it just a motion that some people go through because they think they love someone or just feels lonely? Those are some of the questions that frequently go unanswered; love is so deep that it’s very hard to explain. I was talking with my cousin one time about a girl I was dating at the time and he came out and just asked me, “Why do you love her so much?” I couldn’t respond. I sat there for a half a minute trying to come up with an answer. I had this love for her that I couldn’t explain. If there was one word to describe it, I wish I could find it. It has become so strong in my soul that it rubs off onto everyone.

Why is your first love so hard to get over? Why do some people fall so deep they can’t get out? I have been trying to find the answers to these questions for a long time. I try to do a lot of my own learning by listening to other people and talking to God. Over time I have found that people have different perspectives on love. From my own perspective love is something more than just saying “I love you.” Love is special; it’s true; and it is pure bliss. To me it is holding hands, the flutter of “butterflies”, but a slow and steady heartbeat in the same sense. It is taking months to decide a gift for a birthday or just coming up with something silly for a surprise. It is calming yourself during a fight before the storm erupts, it’s being there all the time no matter the circumstance, and it might include doing something that I don’t want to do but do it anyway just to see her smile.

Love is supposed to be pure. If it is not, what is the point of having a relationship worth talking about? Why cover up your face and put a mask on? Put your heart out on the line every day, you live once, and from my experience truly love someone once.