John - Marquette, Wisconsin

I believe that it is okay to do what you want in life and be happy, it is just hard because society is creating an outline for people’s lives. Through the years that I have grown I have always noticed that my parents, relatives, teachers, and television have said, do well in school so I can have a good life and go to college. Or if I don’t do well in high school I won’t get in to college, then what am I going to do with my life? So I have studied hard and done my best, but I am not being pushed to just go to college but the world also demands that you get a job and have a family and pay taxes and much more.

Going to college then getting a job and starting a family have become norms in almost every society today. The stress in high school, of getting good grades to get into college has been enormous in my life. I struggled through school always wondering whether I was going to make it or fall into the statistics of people that didn’t go to college. When it came to graduation date I didn’t have enough credits to make it. My friends and family and even people I didn’t really know were disappointed and telling me that if I didn’t get into college I would regret it later and that I was going nowhere in life.

Stress rattles my heart everyday because I don’t know what I’m doing or what I want to do in life. I don’t even feel free anymore. I feel as if I’m being crammed into a two seated car with ten people because everyone else is getting in the car. It’s not really what I want to do but I’m doing it because it’s said to be the right thing to do. I have known many people who have succeeded doing what they want to do, but it is a hard life and you have to be willing to do hard work. My mom is one person who has done what she wanted and made a living. She loves photography and she has made it into her own business.

I graduated from high school late and got into college in the spring semester. I have chosen to be influenced by the pressure around me, and to become part of the norms of society, hopefully though this will bring new opportunities for change. Maybe I will find my path here and finally understand what I am doing and what I want to do.