Friendship

Gerrod - menominee, Michigan

I believe that everyone should have at least one really good friend that they can count on. Sometimes people may have more than one good friend and that is even better. But there should be at least one friend who will be there when they are needed. The friend has to be honest, and give advice when it is needed. They need to be there to listen when I have a bad day. They need to be able to help when times are tough for almost any reason. This person also is not someone that should be taken advantage of because then they will no longer be there when they are needed.

I believe this because I have one such friend. He is there to talk to when I need to talk. He will give me advice on relationships when I am having a hard time and cannot figure out what to do. My friend will help me work out problems that I have and will support my decision when I make one. He will talk about my options and weigh the consequences with me so I understand the outcome.

He has been for me in times of need. On such instance was about ten years ago. My parents were in the process of splitting up and I was really depressed. I had a lot of bad things going through my mind at that time, things that I’m not proud of. He was there to listen to me and give me advice. He was able to comfort me and explain how things were and help me realize that things weren’t really how I saw them. I know this took place when I was young but he understood enough to help me through these times and I believe this changed my life. He was able to know enough about parents divorcing even though he had never been through it to help calm and comfort me. He knows a lot about tons of things and I still have no idea where he learns about it.

He is really smart even though it may not seem like it when you meet him in person. He understood what I was feeling and didn’t resent the fact that I had some bad ideas and could have made some bad decisions. This was one of the worst times in my life and he understood. He knew that I needed comforting outside of school counseling and he knew just how to do it so that I would understand and respond positively. When I think about it today I’m not really sure what he did exactly, but I really am glad that it worked out the way that it did.