The Most Beautiful Sound

Daniel - Ishpeming, Michigan

I believe that music is the only thing in this world that can touch the soul. It is the only thing that has the power to translate without language, so it has to be talking to us on a completely different level than that of our conscious mind. A spiritual level.

When I was a young child, I was the ring-bearer at a wedding for a pair of family friends. A lot of members of my family ended up being in the service, but the most important in my memory was my mother. She sang. I can’t convey with simple words exactly what that singing did to me. It may be the reason that I gravitated towards being a musician, it may have shaped my entire life from that point on. The song was “Ave Maria” and I still remember it more vividly than almost anything else in my life. It sometimes creeps in to my dreams to this very day. The way that she sang it, the way that it felt; even though I didn’t know it at the time, I was being moved.

I didn’t speak Latin. I still don’t. Yet, I knew what that song was about, every last word of it. It was the plea for grace that we all have made in private from time to time. It is the heart-broken longing for a life that is marked by good deed, thought, and word. Each verse brings a renewed conviction in the song’s emotion until the listeners are openly weeping. I don’t recall if I wept outwardly, but I know that inwardly, my soul shook with sobs.

In this, I was blessed, because it taught me what I wanted to do for the rest of my life from a very young age. Like the “Ave Maria,” I wanted to make people feel every emotion that they were capable of; I wanted to cause catharsis in all those around me. I felt so clean and renewed after my soul sobbed with the angelic voice of my mother and I wanted to make people feel just the same.

Fifteen years later, I picked up a guitar and began to play and write music. I am resolute to one day write a song that makes people feel the way that I felt at the end of the “Ave Maria.” I feel that once I’ve written that song, I can finally stop and breathe a sigh of relief that I have accomplished the most important thing in my career. A beautiful sound.