First Job

Sam - Watton, Michigan
Themes: work

I believe in working diligently. Its takes strength and loyalty to get this done, especially if you’re working on a project alone.

My first job was working for Bob Mattson, a wood carpenter. I did a lot of work with him and learned a ton. Some of the projects we did together and some I worked on alone. The first project I handled alone was cutting up a huge wood pile.

The day I started it I looked up at it and realized just how enormous it really was. The pile had enough wood in it to heat both his house and barn for the whole winter. It seemed like it would take years to complete.

I climbed up the pile and started cutting. I threw the larger chunks over to the side and the smaller ones I piled for the house. All the other chunks went straight into the trailer to be piled behind the barn. The barn stove handled three foot lengths, so the average chunk was pretty heavy. The house took much smaller chunks than the barn but there weren’t very many of them. I spent a lot of time splitting the bigger ones which was hard work.

After I had everything cut and split I had to pile it. I spent many hours going back and forth piling the wood behind the barn. The chunks were heavy and difficult to handle. Piling them behind the barn was easy compared to the house though. There was a small hole in the house to throw the chunks through, and once they were in the basement it was difficult to pile them. The ceiling was very low so you were bent over constantly and the chunks were small so there was a lot of handling to do.

It took a week to complete and I worked through rain and shine. I had caught a cold halfway through but didn’t take any time off and finished the job. I stayed motivated and didn’t let the work get me down. I was never late and never left early, even if my boss had already left. There were times when he didn’t even show up. I could have easily left early, but never did.

After finishing the project I had him come outside and look at the work. He thought I had done a great job and really appreciated it. He could have easily hired a different worker and had better hours, but he kept me on through the years. I had gained his trust and respect and ended up working there for five years. Not only did I gain a great friend like Bob Mattson, but it also has showed me that working hard is appreciated and pays off. It has helped me to become successful in different jobs and school today.