To Do What Needs to be Done

Bobbi - Ishpeming, Michigan

Like a lot of teenagers in high school, I wanted to go to parties and drink with my friends on the weekends. My boyfriend at the time attracted my attention because I was a sophomore and he was a senior who had all the connections with these friends and their parties. I started living a life I said I would never live, but it felt like I was on top of the world. It wasn’t too far into this amazing party I was living that I found out my boyfriend and I were going to be parents.

This awesome lifestyle had brought great responsibilities I had never foreseen me having at only seventeen years old. How am I going to care for this child? How will I provide for this fragile life? Where will we live? Can I be a good mother? What about finishing school? A few people pushed the idea of adoption, but there was no reason why I couldn’t step up and care for this life that I created, so I was going to have to do whatever needed to be done.

It was time to leave the party and join the real world instead. Creating a solid stable life for my daughter was the only thing that mattered; anything (or anyone) that didn’t support that idea had to go. I was determined to graduate just the same, but everything else I wanted to accomplish during and after high school had to be held off or put aside. Dreams, goals, and expectations of mine that I had since I was a kid and couldn’t wait to achieve were traded to give my daughter the time, care, attention, love, and affection she needed. She trusted and depended on me, her mother, for life. How could I let her down? When I wasn’t at school, I was working as many hours as possible, making as much money as I could. Even though she was born to a young mother, she should still have the same chance as any other child and I would give it to her.

I believe that people need to step up and take responsibility for their responsibilities, no matter what it takes. This is a belief that is carried out in my life every day. Every decision is made with my daughter in mind and what affects it will have on her existence. This is not the end of my story, it is ongoing in which I continue to take the necessary responsibility to do what needs to be done.