Costco’s Pizza

Joey - Spring Valley, California
Themes: purpose

Every night, I lie in my bed and think about my reason for living. What is the purpose of life? If I wasn’t born, the earth would still go around the sun. People would have the same lives and nothing would change, unless I change it myself. I believe that people have their own unique purpose; some live their entire life searching for their meaning, and others find their purpose and influence the lives of others.

As a child, I went to school and just did what the teacher told me to do. I didn’t know how to think for myself and whenever I thought something was frustrating, I just asked for help. Life as a child had no meaning.

In the first semester of my senior year, my English teacher, Miss Thomas, showed the “Invisible Children” to the class. I saw how three San Diegans put their lives in danger to help the children in Uganda. A feeling of self-giving started impeding my body and was settling in my mind.

At the end of the film, Miss Thomas asked us to write two pages about how the documentary made us feel. That film changed my life. I started thinking about how three benevolent souls went to Uganda to help others. I started to think about how my family has helped others. I realized that most of my family is not educated; they just operate and manage convenience stores, and that doesn’t impact the world, and I do not want to follow their life paths.

During winter break, I decided I was going to do something to help others. I wanted do something that could help change someone’s future. I thought I should start with an act of kindness. I discussed this situation with my two cousins, Evan and Patrick, and they decided to help me. Evan, Patrick and I walked around Downtown San Diego each carrying a pizza box from Costco and gave two slices of pizza to each homeless guy we came across; I couldn’t believe that just two slices of Costco’s pizza could make someone’s day a whole lot better. Moreover, we still haven’t agreed on a plan to help change someone’s future, but we are determined.

Many people go to school, go to college, get a job, get married, have children, retire and die, and their children will repeat the same process. Those people do not contribute to society. You need to “make a name for yourself.” Do something that will be remembered. Not everyone will search for their own meaning of life. I believe that your life has a purpose, but it is your choice to find it.