Laura - Los Angeles, California

I believe in God.

god is running through the grass, free and fast, smelling it and feeling it and racing the wind…god is sliding into home…god is whenever a baby runs into anyone’s arms, anywhere…god is the hose delivering water, effortlessly…god is ivy growing upwards…god is stitched into Bill Cosby’s sweaters…god is the guy letting me go in traffic…god is a smile out of nowhere…god is a laugh I keep to myself…god is in Bob Dylan’s crackle…god is in the chills that soothe a sunburn…god is in the exchange of vows…god is birds in flight…god is in an anchorman’s familiar sign off…the right to party…the color yellow…the off chance that he says yes…Edison’s lightbulb…god is in the ability to hold hands…James Taylor’s voice…god is in the powerful and the trite…god is when I don’t say what I’d really like to…god is in a phone call from a friend, the instant feeling of approval, of acceptance, of not being alone despite getting to be…God is the pink dot on my dog’s black nose…god is in manners…and the evolution of the species…right, wrong, and in between…the smell of a flower…god is in not being able to stop, getting to, and then getting to talk about it…god is in that inside part of a carrot…god is in “I am sorry”…god is in “I don’t forgive you”…god is in sisterhood…the bond between brothers…god is in the clawing, the surrender, the triumph, the fear…god is in not caring what this sounds like…god protects me…god fastens my seat belt for me…god defeats me, over and over, calmly and quietly, he doesn’t brag…god does not reject me…he doesn’t always inspire me…god puts me in a corner but doesn’t make me wear a dunce cap…god is in braile…god is in picking up the phone when I don’t want to…god is in I don’t know how, or why, or what to do…god comes slowly to me and doesn’t force himself on top of me…god is in even my dog having a best friend…god is in the breakdown…god is in the smell of water…god is in how enormous this world is…god is inside me, changing me, not better not worse…god is in the let down…god is in the pit of my tummy when he smiles…god was in a cigarette, and still in the fantasy of one…god is in my someday…god is in my never again…god is in Obama’s blood…god is in the way my mind protects itself…god is in the lighting of a candle…early morning…the time smack dab in the middle of dark and light…god is still waiting until I am ready…god is in the smell of firewood, and surely the smoke that dances with the wind…god is round and square, the peg and the hole…god is in your hello and also your goodbye…