I believe there is a lesson to be learned with every obstacle life throws your way

Victoria - West Columbia, Texas

I believe there is a lesson to be learned with every obstacle life throws your way.

Everything you go through provides you with an opportunity to learn and to grow as a person.

When I was just a baby in my mother’s stomach my dad bailed on both my mother and I.

My mom had to work three jobs just to keep diapers on my butt. She also had to provide me

with enough emotional support to make up for what my father was not providing. It’s been a

struggle for the both of us, but there were many lesson learned along the way.

Because of the struggle that my father left my mother to handle, my mother has learned

how to be a stronger, more independent person. I’ve also learned so much from watching the way

she has handled what life has thrown her.

Though I have learned from what my mother and I have had to go through, I’ve seen what

a struggle it can be. Knowing how much hurt and distress to both my mother and I was caused

with my father’s absence has motivated me to make the decision to not be with someone unless I

know their true qualities and who they really are. Because of the experience of my father

abandoning me, I’ve learned to be cautious of who I trust.

When I was in Junior High School I tried out for a play. I wanted the lead role. I

practiced and practiced, I was going to get that role, and I was going to be the star of the show

Though when I tried out I froze. I got so nervous. I was a mess, stuttering and tumbling over my

lines with the least bit of grace. I knew I didn’t do well at all. When the cast list was posted in

the cafeteria, my eyes followed the list down to the very last person, Molly. A student in the

classroom with two measly lines. I had set my self up to go to three two hour practices a week

for six weeks for just two lines I thought this was preposterous.

As the weeks past my teacher made me analyze my character over and over. I was forced

to put so much work into this tiny part. I saw it as a huge waste of my time. Though as I worked,

I began to think of my part as more than just a student who said no more than ten words. I began

to think of her as a person. A person with friends and family, hobbies, interests, and feelings.

From getting the small part, I learned how much every little part of a work of art matters.

I learned there’s no such thing as a small role.

With every obstacle I’ve been faced with throughout life, I believe there was a lesson to

be learned from it.