Joseph - Houston, Texas

I believe in fairy tales. Most people can name what a fairy tale consists of: a damsel in distress, a nasty witch, a dashing prince, and an evil scheme. The nasty witch launches her evil scheme on the damsel, obviously distressing the damsel. Then, the dashing prince comes on his noble steed and everybody lives happily ever after (except for the witch of course). To me, a fairy tale is much more than overcoming the plots of an evil witch. A fairy tale is about overcoming the struggles, that fearsome dragon blocking the way, so that I may realize my dreams, and live in that happily ever after.

The world we all live in is filled with a fear. This fear is the fear of hope for a dream to come true. I know everyone has a dream. As I go to school, I see my fellow students with their hearts set on becoming doctors and movie stars. As I go to the supermarket, I see cashiers scanning can after can with eyes pleading for something better. They are the prince determining whether or not to save the pretty princess.

The story ends there when the dream isn’t pursued. I believe that any dream can come true if the horse is mounted, the sword is sheathed, and the prince rides off to make it before sunset. I have my horse and sword, my dream and my mind, and I have the determination to mount this horse and point my sword towards that castle far, far away.

Many of us actually go out and pursue our dreams, galloping at full speed towards the golden sunset. Our eyes have hope drawn in sparkling letters. As I pursue these dreams, time passes as quickly as a windmill, yet gently as a visiting westward wind. I experience the wonders which the world sends us with first-class postage. With any grand journey comes great struggle, the reason why many dreamers give up on their dreams. That dragon in our way is large, intimidating, and unmistakably ugly and scary. If any dream, no matter how impossible can come true, any dragon can be slain. My sword, my sharp mind, will guide me through to the other end where the path will be open. Good friends and villagers with kindness in their hearts can always be trusted to give you aid in desperate moments. I, and anybody else in the world, can ride our steed to save the princess, overcoming any barriers along the way.

If the struggles are overcome, the damsel is saved and the dream is captured and experienced. America is built on pursuing dreams, no matter how difficult. The reason why fairy tales have lasted the test of time is because we want to experience this dream coming true. A fairy tale is a magical testament that anybody can see their dreams come true and live happily ever after.