I Believe in You, Not

Adam - North Royalton, Ohio

I Believe in You, Not “You”

I believe that people are afraid of showing who they truly are. Is it possible to be accepted for who you are? Will people like you if they knew what you really thought? Would you become an outcast because you aren’t like everyone else? I believe that these worries plague society, and create an atmosphere of conformity.

Peer pressure is talked about as unstoppable. It will be around whether we want it or not, but I believe we as a society can do better. I believe an atmosphere of individuality and non-conformity is what we need to be striving for. Why pressure girls to be skinny and flawless? Are they any less lovable being a size 4 than a size 0 or 1? Are guys needed to have six packs and be physical specimens? Does it make a difference if I can bench 135 or 250?

The world as a whole tells us that unless you are like everyone else and unless you strive to be like everyone else you are less than normal, you are less than everyone else. I believe otherwise. I believe that you should be you, no matter what the cost. Be you whether you are in a crowd of people or if you sitting alone at home. Be yourself whether you have the support of the world or if you have just a few friends. Do not ever compromise who you are and the dreams you possess, because you feel pressured. Do what you want to do. Accomplish your dreams; the world is at your disposable. But, to take full advantage you must make the choice to be unimpressionable.

I believe in you. Not the fake you that you show everyone, the you that you suppress to “be accepted.” I believe in the you deep inside waiting to be released. Take off your mask. It is hard, but do it. Let us quit the masquerade and begin living a life of individuality and uniqueness. I believe that letting the real you shine will make you feel a lot better about yourself. The constant worry of acceptance will dissipate. You will be able to live your life without the worry of looking over your shoulder to see who is watching. The real you is the you that should be walking around not the you with the mask on. Now just let the real you show…