Baking Strengthens Relationships

Michelle - Streator, Illinois
Themes: pleasure

This I Believe: Baking Strengthens Relationships

Whether it be creating an elegant dessert dish or making chocolate chip cookies from scratch, I believe baking brings out happiness. Although the finished product doesn’t always turn out perfect, it is the experience of baking that makes lasting memories. I believe baking can strengthen the bonds between two people. Baking has always been something I love to do with others, and my mom is who got me started.

Growing up, my mom and I loved to make cookies together from scratch. In our opinion, whipping up a bowl of cookie dough could solve anything. When I had boy problems, Mom would get out the ingredients. One night last summer, we were both stressed out over a rough family situation, which led us to do some midnight comfort baking. If we had an argument between the two of us, we talked it over in the kitchen while preparing our blissful batch of cookies. Baking has always kept me close with my mom.

Because of baking I have also made a new friend. Last summer I was introduced to a girl named Lauren, who is now the best friend I’ve ever had. We hit it off so well because we both shared such a strong passion for baking. Sharing ideas and recipes, we could relate to each other in ways I never have with my other friends. Baking doesn’t only make our relationship stronger, but it was the foundation of our relationship.

Not only do I love baking with people, but I also like to do it on my own because it is a way to connect with myself. There is so much fun and enlightenment in the process of baking. I love to discover what ingredients work well together and which clearly do not. It’s interesting to see the new look and texture the ingredients take on as I mix them all together and again when they are done baking. Once the sweet aroma of fresh cookies or brownies fills the kitchen, a sense of accomplishment takes over me. Baking is a way for me to escape to my own little happy place. It allows me to get away from the things I don’t want to deal with or think about and focus on something fun and happy.

Another great thing about baking something is that it can be an act of giving. Sweets and treats always work as a great gift. Even if people don’t like sweets, they appreciate the thought and hard work that went into it. Baked goods are such a common way to give in society today. I love the smile it brings to someone’s face when they see you’ve brought something sweet and delicious.

Whether it’s baking cookies with Mom, making a lifelong friend to make sweets with, or simply enjoying the art of stirring and mixing, baking brings about fond memories that genuinely last forever.