Simple Love Fosters a Family

Robin - Oxford, Connecticut

I believe in the connection and power of family. And with family by your side you can achieve anything. Family gives you the power to grow and cultivate. The love from my family fills my heart with energy and compassion.

As a lesbian woman, my partner and I had to plan our family. We both knew that our love would foster a family if it was meant to be. However, our focus and determination sang out and we were blessed with a daughter and a son. We took turns with the experience of childbirth. What a magnificent transformation to experience total creation within oneself and then final bliss of holding this beautiful baby in your arms.

I’m truly blessed to have my family and to instill in my children all the moral and ethical values that are important to teach every child. Love your neighbor, treat everyone as you like to be treated, accept all mankind as equals, and have faith.

The day that I adopted my son was the same day my domestic partner adopted our daughter. We live in a small town of fewer than 10,000 people, and our town probate judge performed the adoption. Much to our surprise and delight he was very cordial and committed to our celebration. He served us cookies and juice. I recall the pleasure on his face during the adoption process. I want to believe it was because he could see the commitment we have made to go through this process and the importance and joy in our hearts.

My children inspire me. They delight me with their surprises as they grow and learn. We enjoy our special time when on vacation or weekends spent together. Sometimes we turn off all electronic games and toys and pull out a puzzle.

Families come in all shapes, sizes, and types, but the true connection is love. This I believe.