What a Coinkidink

Carolyn - East boston, Massachusetts

What a Coinkidink

Have you ever bumped into an old friend that you haven’t seen in years? Have you ever meet someone randomly and years later you happen to be in each other’s lives. Have you ever thought that it was such a coincidence how you might have bumped into an ex-boyfriend or ex-girlfriend? or maybe how you and someone else just happen to be in the same place at the same time.

I have always been so observant of the people around me. When I hadn’t seen an old friend in a long time and had no way of getting in contact with them, I’ll always think of the way we were going to randomly bump into each other at the train station or somewhere. Funny as it may seem things like this actually do happen.

The word coincidence never really meant much to me, until I read the book The Alchemist by Paulo Choelo. The author tells the story about a young man named Santiago who went to pursue his personal legend in life. One of the most fascinating parts in the book is when the main character Santiago meets an English man. The English man tells Santiago that coincidences doesn’t exist and that there is a meaning for the things that happen to us, and that when you realize your personal legend the whole world conspires into making it come true. What the English man said made me think a lot about my life and about things that I thought were just a coincidence.

One of the things that I thought about was a friend of mine named Ivanna. I met Ivanna randomly one day when I was ice skating. I still can’t explain why but when we met it was as if we knew each other our whole lives. That day we skated together like we had had a long friendship and not a friendship of just a couple of hours.

Months passed I never saw her or had any contact with her at all. One day I was with a close friend staying in a hotel for a modeling pageant that she was participating in. It just happened that Ivanna was in the pageant too. We reunited as friends that had once skated together. Also it just happened that the friend whom I was with happened to be Ivanna’s cousin. In the pageant her and I had figured out that we lived in the same town and were almost neighbors. I told Ivanna about a program that I was a part of and that she should come check it out sometime because I knew she would like it. With a big smile on her face she accepted and decided that she would go the following on Tuesday.

Tuesday came around and she came to my program. She seemed to fit right in, making friends with everyone. In no time she and I became very close friends and our relationship grew. I found out that she was a girl in need of love and support and that’s exactly what she had found at my organization and from me. She quickly became a staff and grown to love the organization. Even today we still take the train together to go home almost every day and talk to each other as if were sisters and not just friends that had met randomly one time at an Ice Skating rink.

These is one of the reasons why I believe that nothing in life is a coincidence and that we are meant to bump into people and meet new people in our life for a reason. I believe that things don’t just happen but that there is a reason as to why it happens. I was supposed to meet Ivanna and introduce her to a loving place where she could get the support she needed in life and grow not only as a person but as a leader. It’s not a coincidence that things turned out this way, rather that things are meant to happen this way.