I beleive in one day at a time

Gwendolyn - Marion, Wisconsin

I believe in one day at a time. I believe in my ability to get up every morning and face a new day. I believe that every new day comes with a learning experience; a chance for me to better myself. My life is what I make of it; it’s no different than yours. I have made mistakes, overcome challenges and had successes.

At eighteen I was in “love” and made the decision to marry. We waited five years before my first daughter was born. I was still under the illusion that I could change him, and that I could calm his temper. Things were usually never right and my decisions were always wrong, but I thought I’ll just take it one day at a time and things will get better. Days, weeks, months and years past by and I still was unable to appease the man he had become. Emotionally, sexually and physically I was nearing the end, and I could no longer submit to his demands. The separation was going well, or at least civil, I thought. Then the incident happened. I was asked to stop by the house we had once lived in together because he had something to give to me for our two girls. After I entered the house it was a combination of slow motion and fast forward. Something’s went vey quickly and others seemed to stretch on for hours. It was premeditated, cold and brutal. I was attacked, beaten and raped that night. My life was threatened; I had to think quickly. There was no way I could overpower him physically so I had to out think him; when I was able to speak I lied like I have never done before and told him everything he wanted to hear. It must have convinced him enough because he finally let me go. Then I drove straight to the authorities and had to tell my story, every detail, and every moment, over and over again for the next nine months to officers, lawyers and judges until he was finally sentenced in June of 2000. I had to take one day at a time to get through it. I truly believe in one day at a time because if hadn’t kept things in perspective I wouldn’t be here today. I had to be patient and let justice take its course. Trusting and believing in the truth got me through each day, one day at a time.

Almost ten years later and I still believe in one day at a time. My husband of nearly seven years can concur that with our blended family that includes five children we must indeed take one day at a time. Life will never be easy; we will all have many challenges. My point, my true belief is that no matter what happens in your life you can always get through if you take it one day at a time.