Why the Rush?

Katie - Daphne, Alabama

Why the Rush?

I believe life is too fast and too short. Society has deceived me in believing that faster is better. As a child I prayed for God to mercilessly deliver me from the torturous country back roads which my parents insisted on traveling. I longed for quicker cooking methods so I could eat the delicious food, whose smell lingered in the house for hours as it was cooking. Often as I have grown and reflected on my life, I have begun to wonder what I missed, and how beneficial all this high speed technology has really been.

Being so focused and consumed by the pace of this world, I have naturally developed annoyances to outdated technology and slower people. I enjoy the ease and reduced stress that has come with simple inventions, like the microwave and not only having a personal computer but now having internet access on a cellular device. Life has forcefully evolved into this craziness, known as present day. At one point in time, people lived by walking everywhere, making their own clothes, hand writing letters. These people lived and the community of those days thrived. So, why must the simpler way of life be completely abandoned?

I have come to realize that I miss watching the crops develop in the fields, hearing the constant click of the old analog gas pumps, which forced social interaction making customers pay inside the store with cash. So here is my solution, what if there was a national day of slowness? The citizens would have a few simple, but extremely aggravating to some, rules to follow.

Slow Rule 1: No running or brisk walking, all mechanical transportation must be done at a slow to moderate speed. This would be a complete day of NO EXERCISE or SPEEDING!

Slow Rule 2: All methods of communication must be simple. Write letters, place them in stamped envelope, and mail. Call others only from land lines; this eliminates driving while talking on the phone – NO CELL PHONES or E-MAILS!

Slow Rule 3: All food must be prepared using a stove or oven – NO FAST FOOD! You must eat all meals seated at or on a table, booth, picnic, blanket, or stool.

Slow Rule 4: A list must be made of all of the things overlooked on a daily basis, due to personal busyness or time constraints. Observations made could include landscapes, weather, smells, textures, the faces of others, smaller life forms (bugs), and animals.

I believe that life is short, especially at its current pace. It is often the slower simpler things in life that brings me the most joy. I now enjoy watching the pelican cruise next to my car, during my daily drive, spotting an occasional alligator, hand writing letters, and cooking homemade meals. I believe in taking moments to stop, relax, and observe my surrounding, using the senses I often neglect. I believe in the power of embracing the slow.