Working Hard or Hardly Working

Alec - Concord, Massachusetts

Working Hard or Hardly Working

I believe that hard work and determination can get you anywhere in life. Whether your goals are big or small, simple or complex or anything in between, you can accomplish them with these principles. These will also completely change who you are as a person, making you better or worse. Hard work and determination are dominating factors that come into play in everyday of life, whether it is me or the people around me.

It is sometimes easier to see this as a witness. I have seen my good friends succeed and fail and in the end it all comes down to how much they want it how much they are willing to do. School is the ultimate ground for this and my two best friends are a perfect example. Both of them are great people but their differences show through in how much they care, and they are polar opposites. One is a hard worker, determined in his studies, and thrives on the ability to perform well and show his strengths. He will most likely go on to be very successful in a field that is quite high in educational standards. On the other hand, my other friend finds little reason to go to school each day. He is not trying to fail out of school but since he is not hard working or determined he does not care as much. Although he lacks these qualities in school he picks them up in other aspects of life, and will hopefully use them to go on and be successful. My friends will be able to get what they want in life, and although one may seem more determined and hard working than the other, the other still has some priorities set and will get the job done.

I fall somewhere in between my two friends, but in the end I find my way and figure out where I want to go. Everything from studying for tests to essay writing to homework I get done, although not always completely. I have struggled in the past and not fully lived up to my expectations. But instead of letting myself slip into a spiral that I know might never end, I come to a realization. I tell myself that no matter how much I don’t want to study for this certain test, I really should. This is because some day down the road when I’m doing what I want to do I will thank myself. Although the result of that one test will not determine my future, it could start to define my habits. As long as I can always stick to my original values of hard work and determination, I know I will always be able to accomplish whatever I want.