Never Back Down

Roxanne - Ridgefield, Washington

My personal view on The American Dream is that yes it exists and not that everyone will have the same dream. To me the American Dream is about finding happiness in your life and not all about wealth. It is more about staying true to who you are and never letting anyone or anything change you. When new challenges or problems arise don’t look at them as if you are the one who needs to change in order for something to happen, because if you are truly happy with who you are, then you shouldn’t change.

I know as being bisexual that a lot of problems arise from hatred and misunderstanding.When someone makes a rude comment about it, I just tell them that they need to look at it in a new light. We aren’t freaks and we don’t have “brain” problems. We are just ordinary people who like different things. It’s like when you have different tastes in guys than your best friend. We don’t hate each other for that. So why do we get upset when they like the same sex? People need to learn that you don’t always have to love the opposite sex because sometimes we don’t.

When people speak of their American Dream, when you listen to them, you hear that it is more about what they want with their happiness. They want that dream because it represents who they are and what they want their lives to become. It’s a dream that makes them shine, one that represents their idea of happiness. When I look at the possible dreams, I don’t see them as change but a way to show them who I am.

My American Dream is to have a nice house with a person that I love. Whether that person is male or female, as long as we are happy. I don’t care about being rich or famous, most of those dreams are unrealistic. We need to look at dreams as a goal that is realistic. I really don’t want to live a glamorous life, I just want a life that is going to make me happy. I’m not going to change my dreams or goals for anyone that stands in my way. My dreams are what is going to make me happy in life.

The American Dream is all about achieving happiness in life. To achieve happiness we can’t have very dramatic dreams about being a movie star or singer because they are more than likely not going to happen. Then we set ourselves up to fail because we don’t have a goal that we really believe we can reach. If we keep setting high goals they won’t become dreams, but only a nightmare of a life. Without happiness in our lives we would be miserable. We have to learn to stay strong and never let anyone change what you want. Really I believe that to have an American Dream it has to be realistic, show who you are and what you stand for, but mainly you have to have a dream that will make you happy. If you live a happy life, you will die happy. If you live a poor sad life, you will die really unhappily. So keep on dreaming but only dream of something you can achieve.