Real truth

Grant - Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Themes: integrity

For this I Believe

Everyone believes in truth. But what is truth? Is it a simple line that divides good or bad or is it something more? Truth isn’t just right and wrong, it’s what you believe in with all your heart and if told later that it’s a lie would still believe in it. I believe that things don’t always have to be true to believe in them, just that you never give up and believe in it always. Human morality and gut instinct will always help us and will never fail aiding us as people to make not just the right decision, but the best one.

On a stale, sweltering July afternoon, I had just come back from a day at my friend’s house. My dad, in his cheerful compassion, had picked up a new movie for me and my brother to watch that evening with the family. That movie, in its banal blissfulness passed to me this one, simple concept that has moved me as a person. That truth isn’t just a yes and no, right and wrong, it’s something more.

When this fully set in several days later I decided to share my new found philosophy with my little brother, it didn’t work. Suddenly everything he said was law and my parents believed him! He would tell blatant lies to my parents and because he was the baby, they took everything he said was exactly what happened.

After he got me in trouble for something he made up, it was finally subsided with a long lecture by my father, he kind of got what I said but eventually forgot it. Since that day, I’ve kept my belief hidden away under a façade of false ones until now. Now that I have this opportunity, I am glad to know that others can know and even share this belief.

Now that my essay comes to a close, I want you to remember what truth really is. If people today would open their eyes to how things really are, not just seem, and back those beliefs with all their power, just think of the possibilities. I would think that our world that we live in today and in the future will be so much better for all of us. A world without prejudices or stereotypes, just simple, honest truth for anyone and everyone.