Don’t Judge A Book By Its Cover

Tori - Mount Sterling, Kentucky
Themes: tolerance

I believe that no-one deserves to be judged.

We all have made our mistakes in life and yet we are the quickest to judge one another. The truth is we judge unfairly. We look at those on the outside and make an assumption as to what people are like by the way we dress, the way we talk, the way walk, and just the way we look in general.

We live in a society today where if you don’t look “nice” or look a certain way that meets up to someone’s standards then they won’t even talk to you, (how silly is that?)

Growing up as a kid I’ve always heard the phrase ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ and thought, “who would judge a book by its cover?!” But, then I realized I’ve done that before; I’ve picked up a book and haven’t read it because the cover didn’t grab my attention, or make me want to read it. For example The Giver by Lois Lowry has an old man on the cover of it, I mean who wants to read a book that has a picture of that on the cover? But, I had a friend tell me that the book is actually pretty amazing! So, after I started reading I really liked it. It’s about not following the rules and blending in, standing out in the crowd, and questioning authority. Since reading this story I haven’t ‘judged a book by its cover’.

With this, I believe people are like books and each one of us have a story to tell, we’re all waiting for someone to just open us up and see what we have to offer to the world, and the others around us.