The Ways of Chance

Kennedy - 40353, Kentucky
Themes: change

Do you take chances? What about risky ones? Would you take a chance that could

change your life? What about a chance that would open many doors for you in the future?

Something happened a few years ago, in fifth grade. We had just seen a performance

of the McNabb Middle School Sixth Grade Band. They performed in front of all the

Sixth graders in the county! I was really impressed by how well they played. A few

days later, a man-named “opportunity”, or Mr. Bowling, made himself known. He

gave us a lime-green paper with different musical instruments listed. At that moment I

thought to myself “What if I choose the wrong instrument, will I just call it quits?”

“Maybe it will be too much trouble”, I thought. I awoke from a short nap to see that

lime-green paper just staring back at me! I had to make a decision. I took my pencil

and circled the saxophone. I felt like that was an okay decision.

The first day of middle school soon arrived. Before I knew it, it was time for band.

We didn’t have class in the band room, but in the auditorium. Mr. Bowling started class

by getting a count of students and what they were going to play. If we agreed to play a

certain instrument, we stood when it was announced. That’s when we discovered that the

band needed three more trombone players. Something came over me at that very

moment. It was weird! I didn’t even think about it I just stood up! I started playing the

trombone the very next day. Three years later, I’m still playing! I’ve joined marching

band and we even went to state competition! I’ve had lots of fun playing in the Pep Band

and marching in parades. I’ve not just had fun, I’ve learned a lot-like they give college

scholarships for music!

The decision I made back then has done so much for me. Even though I was

uncertain at first, I’m glad I took the chance. The door of opportunity opened and I

walked through. I guess life is a revolving door of opportunities. We just have to be

brave enough to take a step through.