I’m a Rock

Macy - Mt. Sterling, Kentucky

I believe in being a rock. In my opinion, being a rock is being tough, not physically, but mentally. When you think of a rock, you may think of Dwayne Johnson or a solid person. Well, when I think of being a rock, I think of nothing. I simply look in the mirror.

My life’s never been easy. It’s been pretty hard, in fact, but things finally started to get a lot better. My 12th birthday had coming up and my Papaw had finally got to come to our little hometown hospital from the big fancy one in Lexington. He had been really sick and he had finally gotten better-at least that’s what I thought. I was also going to Gatlinburg that weekend to celebrate my birthday. For once, things were going great! Little did I know, that was all going to change.

The day after I got home from Gatlinburg, I got the announcement that my Papaw had passed away. I didn’t know what to think. My mind went blank and my heart, well, it just shattered. How could this happen? I should have knows things wouldn’t stay good for long, but I was just so happy that I ignored that I had always had bad luck. For once, my life was great and all of a sudden it crumbled like a chocolate chip cookie right in my hands.

My Papaw was my favorite person in the world. He was that one person in my life that I knew I could count on and that would always be there and that would love me no matter what. Losing him was like losing my whole world. I started getting depressed and I got to the point where I locked myself up in my room and I was anti-social with everyone. I lost almost all of my friends and that made it even worse.

I got a lot better and was doing great and then my best friend’s little brother passed away. That’s the point in which I realized that I had to be a rock. I had to be a rock for my best friend. I put everything aside and solely focused on being there for him. I started to get sad a lot and a lot of a lot of old memories started to come back. All of a sudden, I went back to being anti-social again and I started to become depressed…again! I tried to hide it from people, but deep down I was still grieving from my papaw.

Not too long after that, I became best friends with a boy named Blake Thomas. He’s always happy and he made me look at the positive side of life. He’s always that person that I now can count on to make me look at the brighter side of like, just like my Papaw always did. He always gives you this I’m-happy-and-I-know-it vibe. He made me realize that you need to be happy. Life’s too short to stay sad, because just like my best friends brother, you never know when your time will be. No one will ever take my Papaw’s place, but if I had to pick one person that could come closest to filling his shoes, Blake Thomas is the one I would choose. He is without a doubt, my rock.

Now, I am nowhere near the same person that I used to be. Now, I am a rock. I don’t let thing’s bother me, I just brush it off my shoulder and look at the brighter side of life.

Throughout my 14 years of life, I have realized that I have to be tough and I have to be a rock. You have to be other people’s rocks too. With a little help from your friends, family, and the people you love, you realize you are a rock. So here I am world…a rock!