an unexpected situation

Deanna - mt. sterling, Kentucky

A hero can come in all shapes and sizes. When you least expect it, you’ll find that one person that changes the way you think. They change your perspective on our past, present, and future.

On a scorching Saturday afternoon, I opened the doors of our local nursing home. The instant my foot hit the buildings tile an unpleasant smell overwhelmed my bodies senses. This was the first time that I went to a nursing home, and the stereotype of the elderly there made it more repulsive to stay. But I made my feet move right-left-right-left. Then I took a turn to the recreational room.

Before I entered the room I saw how many elderly there were there and I thought that they must be as bored as being stuck in algebra class forever. I didn’t want to stay but I thought that I should make the best out of this occasion. I noticed an elderly woman sitting at a table. She had short, gray, curly hair and over-used, frail hands. Her face glowed with friendliness and kindness beamed through her wrinkly, aged face.

She was observing a magazine and noticed me examining her. She gracefully lifter her hand and gently waved at me to come to her. I swiftly approached her and sat beside her in a beaten-up chair. Our conversation started off quickly after that. She asked me what my age was, and I responded quickly. She replied with an honest answer, “With all that life has thrown at me, I try to look at the best of everything.”

She told me about her wedding day and how much she loved her husband that died a few years back. She told me stories back her young son that has pasted on because of cancer. With all that that lady went through she still had a smile on her face.

That day, I learned that if you take a minute of so out of your crazy and hectic day, you could learn a lot about life and about people’s history. That lady changed my perspective on life and made me think of all the positive things in a bad situation, and when I get out of that situation, to come out of it with a smile on my face.

I believe that a total stranger can be your hero.

A hero doesn’t have to be someone you’ve known forever, or someone that you want to look like. A hero is someone that has had an impact on you that has changed you forever.

Take the time to listen to older people. They know so much, and the things that they tell you might not make sense but it has a lot of wisdom in it. Stories that they will tell you might take your breath away, or leave you with a thought that makes you think twice about the things you do.

That old lady with the gray, curly hair and frail hands is my hero.