The Love of a Sister

Megan - Benton, Arkansas

I believe a sister is a lifelong friend. Though we are nine years apart my sister and I are as close as twins. Total opposites in appearance and personality, we still know each other so well. My sister and I are definitely friends, and it would be hard to live without her in my life.

I have to love my sister because I am related to her, but I do not have to be friends with her. I choose to be her friend. Sisters are separated all the time, whether they want to be or not. In your heart you will always love your sibling, even if you have never even met them. My sister and I are definitely friends, and it would be hard to live without her in my life.

I knew there was a very special bond between us as sisters, but never truly knew how much she loved me until September 2008. In this month, my sister got engaged and gave me the chance to be her maid of honor. The night of her engagement we were already planning because of all the joy and excitement. Caught up in all of the excitement I didn’t even think about who would be in the wedding. Normally I would have been thinking all types of things: Am I in the wedding? What am I? Do I even get to help? But not this time. I was so happy for my sister, my friend.

When I heard the words, “I am so sorry, Meg. There is just no way you can be in the wedding. You are too young to be a bridesmaid and too old to be a flower girl.” I was devastated. I was at the point of tears when my mother, who already knew I was a part of her big day, walked in. She sat down with us, asking my sister who would fill which roles in the wedding. “So who is your maid of honor?” asked my mom. When my sister did not answer I looked up at her only to notice my sister was pointing directly at me. Again, I was at the point of tears, but this time they were tears of joy.

Sometimes it is hard to express how much you love someone, especially a sibling. I think my sister did a great job showing me. That day I realized my sister loved and cared about me. I now know if I die tomorrow, my parents are not the only ones who will miss me.

I hope when I grow up and get married God will bless me with two daughters, so they can have a special bond just like my sister and me.