The Folly of Mankind

Tyler - Bryant, Arkansas

I believe that our own stubbornness will cause us all to destroy ourselves or fail at whatever we may attempt to do. It’ll be from our undying will to fight until our last breath. We will not give in…even for the better.

Our will to be on top, our will to survive, will be our destruction. This will inturn never end for the better. Take the time I forged my report card once, I was so proud of success. For two months I kept the fact of my forged report card from my mom. I never let in. I never surrendered. All I had to do was tell the truth and the punishment would have been light, but no I had to be stubborn. In the end…I failed. It was because of my stubbornness, stubbornness that is imbedded in human nature, that I failed. For this, my folly was stubbornness, and this stubbornness can be seen throughout history, many have failed because they wouldn’t give in. Many times, it is a light issue, much as mine was, but there are few instances when life or death is decided by stubbornness.

In our short time as inhabitants of this planet Earth, many events have taken place that reflect our stubbornness, many of which have been the end of many lives. Take Sparta for another example. The Spartans of Greece did not surrender when the Persian Army of over 100,000 men met with 300 of Sparta’s best soldiers, they did with arrows in their hearts and their faces toward the sky. All they had to do was surrender. They were stubborn.

One way to see our stubbornness is to look toward the sky. To see those chunks of metal, in space, on the moon, on another planet, and even near the end of our solar system. It is because of those who work toward the betterment of mankind, even after men and women have died trying to reach beyond our planet, and discover what is out there. This curiosity is brought on by our stubbornness. This can be said that stubbornness is the reason for all of humanity’s flaws. Mankind is stubborn.

No one is not stubborn. Based on events of the past, the destruction of mankind, whether directly or indirectly, will be caused by the human nature to be stubborn. Something’s folly is what will destroy it or cause it to fail; stubbornness is mankind’s folly, for our will to never give in will become our death. So, whether now or in the distant future, stubbornness will be with us every step of the way. The folly of mankind is stubbornness.