The Better Way Out

Shelby - Bryant, Arkansas
Themes: integrity

I beleive truth is the better way out of any situation. I also believe that you can always make others happy by doing the smallest things.

When I was 11 years old my brother and I were often full of energy. We would never really think about what we were doing until it was already done. My mom had a collection of china dolls that she had ever since she was a little girl. In our spare room, on the wall shelf next to our betta fish, is where her china dolls would sit. My mom would always feed our fish, but one day my brother and I thought that we should feed it. When we tried to feed it we couldn’t quite reach the tank because the shelf was too high on the wall. So my brother and I thought that we should get on the bed and then stand on the shelf to feed the fish. At the time, this seemed like a great idea. Slowly I put my foot on the shelf. Right at that moment, my brother and I found out the hard way that this wasn’t such a great idea. The shelf ended up collapsing. Along with the shelf, each and every one of the china dolls had broken. Luckily, the fish had survived though. When my mom heard the loud crash she came running in begging to know what had happened. At first, we told her the shelf fell on its own, but she knew that wasn’t the truth. When we told her the truth she was furious, yet she was proud of us that we told her what had really happened.

Knowing that my mom was so upset about these dolls that had belonged to her for so long had made me feel terrible for what my brother and I had done. I remember seeing her crying, which she didn’t do often. The dolls had meant so much to her because the people who cared for her most had given them to her every year on her birthday when she was younger. My brother and I started thinking of ways that we could make it up to her. We came up with the conclusion that we would glue each doll back together. Although they didn’t look great once we were done, my mom was still so happy, which made my brother and me also happy. It made me happy because other’s happiness brings joy to me.

After this experience I realized truth is the better way out of any situation and that you can always make others happy by doing the smallest things. Telling my mom the truth and fixing her china dolls had made my mom so happy. This just shows that you can make others happy by doing the smallest things. Everyone at one point in his or her life has told a little lie just so they wouldn’t get into trouble, but telling the truth can make every situtation better in some way. Now I believe truth can be the cure to any situation and that others happiness can be made by doing the smallest things.