The Roller Coaster

Cameron - Alexander, Arkansas
Themes: fear

I believe in not letting fear control my life.

I have always been terrified of heights. Every time I get high up, my heart rate increases, so a roller coaster is one of the scariest things for an acrophobic like me. In sixth grade, I went on a field trip to an amusement park called Magic Springs. We all had to say in groups of three or four. Naturally, I chose my two closest friends, Tyler and Alex. Tyler said that he always went on a certain roller coaster, called the Arkansas Twister, every time he came to Magic Springs. I felt more courageous and daring than usual, so I tried. Eventually, after at least thirty minutes, we reached the front of the line.We put the safety bars over us and started going up.At this point, my courage was fleeting away. Time was slowing down as we went up. My breathing was getting harder the higher we went. By the time we reached the top, I was beyond terrified.

Once we reached the top of the roller coaster, I looked down and opened my mouth to start screaming, but the wind pushed the screams back into my throat. Then, I was pushed to the left, to the right, and back to the left. Everything was so fast that I didn’t know what was happening. When we got off the roller coaster, my legs felt like jelly, and I could still feel the adrenaline pumping. It felt better than any thing I had ever felt.

From riding that roller coaster, I learned that I shouldn’t be as acrophobic. I now ride rides that I used to be too scared to do. If Tyler had not encouraged me to ride the roller coaster, I wouldn’t be able to have as many rides at amusement parks as I do now. I’m glad that I rode that roller coaster that day. I have learned to be more courageous. I believe in not being limited on what I can and cannot do because of fear.