Nicole - Bryant, Arkansas

Life is cruel, difficult, unbearable, frustrating, unfair, heartbreaking, hate-filled, and tear-drenched… sometimes.

In life we sometimes do not get to choose what we want; stuff just happens. God chooses. Maybe thats why life is all those things because its not always what God wants… sometimes.

Good and evil intertwine in life. Whether its intentional or not, it happens. It always will, as long as you live. It’s life.

Life has its highs and lows. My biggest low came when I was in the fifth grade. The day was terrible and hard to forget. It was as if black clouds were hovering above me even though the sun kissed my cheeks.

What happend was far worse then any nightmare I have ever had. The harsh reality did’nt truly hit me until I saw my family’s eyes. The pain and shock covered by a sheet of liquid about to pour or doing so. The strongest people I knew were on their knees. People who I have never seen shed a tear before had rivers rushing well past there chins like scars. My brother, sister, and I were the only kids present. We were passed from one grandparent’s lap to another for one could not hold their tears back that long. We were not allowed to see our daddy because my grandmother did not want us to remember how he looked then. I can only imagine what a face would look like after being flung into a windshield.

Slowly, but surely, they pulled the plug on the machine that was keeping him alive. As everyone filed out of the hospital soaked in the saltiness from their own tears, I realized I would no longer be the same again. I would no longer have a dad.

Even though it was something I wish no one would go through, I took steps forward instead of back. I took steps in my faith and in myself. Knowing that if I could go through this I can go through anything.

Through this I found there is actually a thing called death. Usually to most people it’s an invisible thought just pushed to the side. What most don’t realize is it’s very real no matter how hard you try to pretend it’s not.

Saying all this: I am not afraid of life; I do not hate it either. Even if there are suckish things that happen, are happening, or will happen. Life’s to short to hate. Live life to the fullest, and even when things happen to go sour. Just continue on the adventure everyone is traveling called life.