Nationals 2009

Meredith - Bryant, Arkansas

I believe that someone can be anything that he/she aspires to be.

I remember the moment when I realized I could be anything that I wanted to be. For the past eleven years, my life has revolved around dance. My motto is “dance, sleep, do homework, and eat.”

My all star dance team had been preparing for a national competition all year long. We had practiced only on the weekends, and when we did practice, the practices weren’t very productive.

After much thought, agony, tears, and uncertainty, the parents and our coach made a mutual decision for our coach to resign. We had approximately two and a half weeks to find a qualified coach. The decision had to be made fast.

After finding a coach, we worked long, grieving hours at a time. We met everyday after school to practice our dances and dance technique. We all became very tired and some still had doubts about whether we were ready to face the other amazing teams from all over the United States.

On January 29, I traveled with my dance team to the National Dance Team Championship in Orlando, Florida. The moment I stepped onto the stage and felt the lights shining down on me, I knew that I could be anything that I wanted to be if I were willing to work hard. At that moment, I knew that all my hard work and dedication were well worth it!

Don’t get me wrong: I also believe that hard work and dedication are what will lead me to this feeling. I would not have felt this way if I hadn’t worked hard and spent time imagining what it would feel like to dance on that stage.

I can relate this to all areas of life, whether I want to be a professional sports player, a lawyer, a doctor, or an astronaut, I still need that feeling of knowing, “I can do this!”

The moment I experienced at nationals has changed my life forever. I now know that anything at which I work hard at can be achieved. Someday, I hope that my own children will have the same feeling that I had on stage. I will remember and cherish Friday, January 30, 2009, for the rest of my life.