Beautiful Little Bunny

McKenzie - Bryant, Arkansas

I believe in having self-worth. Everyone is beautiful on the inside and out. Even the fattest, ugliest child needs to recognize their self-worth. It helps us through life in many different and complicated ways.

I learned this lesson from my parents and three judges whom I’d never met before in my life. My parents told me every day that I was beautiful, and when I put myself down they would pick me right back up. You are beautiful and there’s no hiding that from the world you just have to quit hiding it from yourself, my mother told me anytime I was feeling down. My mother and father made me feel beautiful, and the three judges at the beauty pageant confirmed their opinion.

I was a chubby little girl when I was in elementary school. Having my two front teeth shining for the world to see at an eighth of an inch apart disgusted me and made me hang my head below my shoulders each and every day. My enemies used to call me bunny when I made them mad and that didn’t help matters. When walking through school my friends treated me like a queen, but inside I felt like and ugly maid forced to show her face. I was ten years old before I finally discovered my outer beauty.

It was May 5, 2005. With my newly curled hair and my beautiful pink dress I felt amazing. I was officially ready to walk into the Little Miss Cleburne County High School Beauty Pageant of 2005. I was nervous, but I believed in myself. Knees knocking and heart pumping, I slowly walked down the runway. I held my head high, and I smiled. I shined my beautiful buck-teeth for the world to see and I didn’t care. I was no longer ashamed to shine my little bunny-teeth for every judge and spectator to see. I was proud.

I won that beauty pageant. It not only taught me self-worth but it also taught me self-confidence and courage. That day was the turning point of my life. I may not be the prettiest girl in the world, but I am proud of how I look.

It only took one night, a beautiful dress, and a first-place trophy to transform me from a young girl who believed she was ugly and was ashamed to smile, to a confident girl who believes she is beautiful and has strong confidence and great understanding of her worth.

I will use this experience in my life to teach my children to believe in themselves and to teach them to know that they can do anything they set their mind to do. This experience taught me self-worth and self confidence, and it will help me teach confidence and pride to many generations to come.